Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,599Gear list
Like?
Re: Micro 4/3 1.4 Teleconverter
In reply to oklaphotog, Nov 12, 2012

oklaphotog wrote:

Gregm61 wrote:

With 16 megaipixel files from my E-M5, if I needed to crop an image 15-20%, I would not be using any interpolation to rez the file back up, just crop the image and use the native resolution, which would be more than enough.

More than enough for what, a small print or screen veiwing? What about bigger printing. Pulling 25% off limits you to an 8x10" print @ 300dpi, so if you want to go 11x14 or bigger you're still going to need to interpolate up. To me 11x14" is the smallest for the wall or for show. I can think of times where you might need a TC and still need to crop, especially with the lack of strong tele's for m4/3.

75-80% of a file from the E-M5 is more than enough for much larger than screen-size only viewing.

I rarely print, but when I do I leave the interpolation up to people who do it for a living. I do not print at home and always order from my site host, which is Smugmug. For larger size prints, which is anything bigger than 10x15, Smugmug automatically uprezes any file (as most labs do) to the PPI setting they use for large prints (which is not 300PPI. Last time I checked with them it was 255PPI), so anything I would do is just getting in the way. I let them handle it. From the 16x20 and 20x30 images I have had them print, it works very well.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow