Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
clignus
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
Like?
Re: A77 AF disables itself with Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro
In reply to 9000AF, Nov 12, 2012

9000AF wrote:

clignus wrote:

My Tamron 200-500mm behaves is the same manner. The focus ring will not turn while my a77 is set in any AF modes. While the focus ring on some of my Minolta lenses will turn with miild resistance when the camera is in AF mode, my Minolta 100mm Macro D will not.

This is normal, all lenses without clutch (focus ring spinning during AF) behave like this, regardless of brand. If you try to turn it you may break the gears. The Tam 90 does have a manual clutch to disengage the focus ring as described in my post above while some other lenses (like the Sony 16-80 or Minolta 100-300 APO D) use automatic slipping clutches that engage when turning the MF ring. The third type are the SSM lenses which feature in-lens ring-type motors than can be manually overridden anytime (CZ zooms, 24 f/2, 16-50, 70-200, some Sigma HSM, Tamron USD).

Thanks but I understand that.  I was not saying I have the same "problem" as you may have thought from my comments but confirming to the poster that it is normal for different lenses to behave differently.  I did not mention my SSM lenses as I did not see that it was germane.

clignus's gear list:clignus's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony SLT-A77
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow