Is NEX-3 a good place to start?

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
DoctorJerry
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?
Re: Is NEX-3 a good place to start?
In reply to BobT, Nov 12, 2012

BobT wrote:

Looking into the NEX system right now. I've dabbled in other m4/3rds systems a little bit, always returning to DSLRs. So maybe, this time. I have an offer to pick up a NEX-3 with kit lens in exchange for one of my DSLR lenses. The lens that I would trade away covers the same approximate range as the 18-55 kit lens. The NEX would then cover similar subjects as does the DSLR lens....the most important being an upcoming trip to the American Southwest. So very scenic/landscape country. Do you feel that the NEX-3 would be a good candidate for the job? Or is this particular NEX camera simply too old now, by today's newer NEX technology?

Thanks

I sure hope you are talking about the NEX F3 and not just the NEX 3. I have both and the image quality, especially in low light and higher ISO settings makes the F3 unbeatable, far better than the 3 which is already very good. The F3 has a built-in flash, auto framing and peaking which is why I bought the F3. I should also point out that I had and sold the NEX 7 a couple of months after I bought it since I found the NEX 5N (which I still have and love) was far better in low light which is where I shoot a lot of pictures. I just ordered the NEX 6 and believe it will do as well in low light as my 5N and comes with the 16-50 kit lens. The wider ability of that lens makes it very useful for me along with the built-in flash and EVF and a real mode dial helpped me choose.

I have and have had a number of mFT cameras, both from Panasonic and Olympus. I currently have the LP2 with the EVF and a 14-150mm lens and while that combination is very very nice, it just doesn't perform that well where I do a lot of my photo shooting. If you are wondering why I seem to have (or had) a lot of cameras is very simp;le, I teach digital photography at a local college and it is very hard let alone not fair to talk about a camera group when you have no first hand experience with it.

Jerry

-- hide signature --

Someone has to tell the emperor that he has no clothes

DoctorJerry's gear list:DoctorJerry's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow