So what is worse on the 5dm3 compared to the 5dm2

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,260Gear list
Like?
Re: So what is worse on the 5dm3 compared to the 5dm2
In reply to Bryan Cady, Nov 12, 2012

Bryan Cady wrote:

From looking at the review, it appears video quality takes a small hit on the 5dm3 compared to the d5m2. I'm sadden to hear that.

What else if anything is worse?

I'm a Nikon guy thinking of jumping ship because of the oil/dust issues with D600 and autofocus of the d800. The 6d spec wise seems to be weak in some areas so I was now going to look at the 5dm2 and 3. If I go Canon I didn't know if I should splurge on the 5dm3.

My biggest considerations are dynamic range, low ISO and sharpness. (I'll learn whatever the menu and controls do and get use to ergonomics) Shooting landscapes mostly. Like video but I am not going professional with it.

I might pull the trigger around Thanksgiving if some deals start coming out for the holiday season but I know that is probably doubtful.

Bryan

Dynamic range is about the same as you'd have with the D700...only instead of random noise in shadows as with the D700, you turn up mild to moderate pattern noise.

Otherwise, the only thing I find lacking in the 5DIII compared to the 5DII is the lack of interchangeable focusing screens. I miss the option of installing the screens with 5:4 and 1:1 crop lines–those aren't options for the built-in LCD overlay. But coming from Nikon, you won't find that an omission at all since none of those cameras have interchangeable finder screens either AFAIR.

Sharpness with the 5DIII is superb.

I'm a portrait/people photographer. I came to the 5DIII via a Nikon D800 and D700, and I have no regrets.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow