Historicity
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
Re: Why I Just Bought an Olympus Four Thirds Camera System
In reply to kendrab, Nov 12, 2012

kendrab wrote:

. . .

So what did I buy?

1) A new Olympus E-620 camera kit with 14-42mm lens for $447.00 (I had an older E-510 camera I bought from a friend with 14-42mm lens, and sold it locally for $200, so the cost of my new camera came to $247.00). Note that it still has the full manufacturers warranty.

2) I picked up used Olympus Zuiko ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 and ED 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 lenses, a "used" but never taken out of box TC-14 tele-converter, and a FL-50R flash for $1050. Each lens came with UV filters at no extra cost.

So, I spent $1300 on what is now a bit of an unpopular camera system. How did that turn out for me?

I have used this system for about a week, and am very impressed with both the imag and build quality. It does everything I hoped for and more. It delivers noticeably better picture quality than my friends Nikon D80 and his $2500 worth of lenses. Is there anything better? Sure there is, but I recognize what is limiting me as a photographer is experience, and you can't buy that, even if you have that shiny new Nikon D800E camera system.

Kendra

Kendra,

I just reread your note.  What you have done may not be untypical, it seems to me.  Someone "driven" to get the newest and latest won't be happy with the Olympus 4/3 line.  Those people eventually move away to Canon or Nikon.  But those who recognize that Olympus has built a lot of high quality cameras and lenses many of which are floating around on such places as eBay in "very good" condition realize that they can enter the dslr world at a bargain price with nothing to prevent their producing photos as good as those produced by the most expensive Canon or Nikon other than a photographic-eye and a lot of practice.

Assuming the setup you have is in very good condition and you don't drop or break anything along the way, there is no reason why you can't exceed your 3 to 4 years of use and produce a lot of very fine photos along the way.

Being honest with yourself about your needs was a good foundation for selecting the setup you did.  In my case I spend 99% of my photographic time outside, some of it in rough weather, on hikes.  So what I needed was a bit of variety: something lightweight for certain sorts of hikes, but something weatherproof and rugged for other sorts.  No other manufacturer fit those combined requirements as well as Olympus.

I come home with my camera bag full of leaves, seeds, small branches and a variety of bugs.  I dump out the bag and inspect my camera and lens, usually doing little more than brush them off.  I initially expected to be using up cameras and lenses at a rapid rate; so I bought several backups, but unexpectedly my cameras and most of my lenses have been able to handle the rough usage I've put them through -- even the non-weather-proofed bodies.

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 +43 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow