Vertical focal plane shutter and camera orientation

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Helen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,017
Like?
Re: Vertical focal plane shutter and camera orientation
In reply to aardvark7, Nov 12, 2012

aardvark7 wrote:

It is odd and perhaps something mechanically catching, which wouldn't normally, but I was wondering if you were shooting with strobes, or just natural light.

If the latter, I woud guess an unusual mechanical reason. However, if you were using strobes I'd look at the trigger sync, because that could give just such a result.

-- hide signature --

2012 : My new year's resolution -
To be decided...

I should have included that information - it was without flash, which is of course a prime cause of such effects when too high a shutter speed is selected for the synchronisation limit of the particular shutter.  So I too suspect a mechanical reason; I'm just wondering if I'm being unreasonable expecting it NOT to happen with the camera held the wrong way up!  My take was that if the shutter (at least of that particular camera) is sensitive (or out of tolerance?) enough to do this, it may also be disturbed when the camera's held in portrait orientation or if there is any unexpected movement whilst shooting (say a jolt if you were on a boat or something).  Obviously the latter would likely ruin a shot anyway, but I wouldn't want shutter mishaps occurring repeatedly as it would be likely to cause mechanical damage to the shutter.  Having dealt a lot with older cameras, I've always tended to view any visible signs of focal plane shutter unevenness as a sign of troubles to come.

It's kind of academic now, as since the camera was brand new, expensive and had a somewhat decentered lens supplied with it, I returned it promptly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow