Like?
I like Monarchies
In reply to LeRentier, Nov 12, 2012

LeRentier wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

LeRentier wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

LeRentier wrote:

Technically, you're right but, they were always part of Ireland. . . .

The island of Ireland, (the most western of the larger British Isles) has the Province of Ulster in the North, which is British, has the Queen for Head of State, and is otherwise known as Northern Island...

... and the island of Ireland has a separate republic in the South which used to be part of Great Britain. This first attained home rule to became the Irish Free State, and then succeeded completely from Britain to create a new Republic and call itself Eire.

Ulster has never been part of that Republic since it was partitioned as the full succession of the South occurred. Thus it shares the landmass of Ireland with Eire, the same way France, Belgium and The Netherlands are adjacent on the landmass of continental Europe.

Do you think Holland should be "returned" to Spain?

Do you think Belgium should be partitioned between Holland and France before or AFTER this happens?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Wasn't it a Dutch King who managed to import his own people, many from Scotland, and turn Northern Ireland into a protestant stronghold ?
Those people has the stronger army and continue to let "the others", the original catholic inhabitants, know they are the ones who rule, via their must despised orange marches.

Your assessment is pretty accurate, as far as it goes.

But I don't think anybody's best interests would be served by trying to weld Northern Island to Eire to produce a larger Irish Republic, do you? It needs 200 years of not much happening before that becomes even possible, I think. For the moment there are too many complete RRs-holes on BOTH sides.

Becoming part of the German Empire would, at the time, also have been a viable option, language and culture were and still are fairly similar, recent history does not change that.
Possibly France should reclaim your rebellious island and oust the Germans from Windsor castle ?

Hang about. At one time most of France was quite legitimately English, all the way to the Med... it should be us claiming it back. God knows we have fought for it often enough... (sigh)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz

Sorry about all the typos I left behind.

Yes, when you start looking around, history is a fairly messy thing, isn't it ?

Let's abolish all monarchies, burn their bodies and disperse their ashes in the sea.

I like monarchies.....

Most of the countries with particularly stable democracies are monarchies, also. Some of those are envied as the happiest places to dwell on the planet... Denmark Holland Sweden.....

.... and Norway, of course, which apart from having an enlightened policy on North Sea Oil Revenues, is always quietly acting as broker of peace to troubled factions across the whole globe.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow