Why I Just Bought an Olympus Four Thirds Camera System

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Regular MemberPosts: 338Gear list
Re: 40-150 MKI/MKII ?
In reply to CollBaxter, Nov 12, 2012

CollBaxter wrote:

Well err My findings are a bit different. My MKI was not as good as the MKII. But I was never lucky with that lens. My son lost one ( MKI) , broke one and got one stolen ( MKII's ) . The MKI is better built and slightly faster but can't close focus I found the MKII's much sharper. Actual which ever one you get they are worth it.

There again I found the 14-45 as soft a pig stuff.

My super value prize is for the 35mm.

-- hide signature --

(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.

Yes, the 35mm!!  It was being panned when I bought mine, but over time I used it more and more and now it is one of my favorite lenses.  I bought the 25mm to use with my e-420s but found the "cheaper" 35mm more satisfying -- given that I use these lenses on hikes.  However . . .

Having had traumatic experiences buying legacy lenses I have learned how to search for fungus & debris in lenses.  I take a small not-too-bright flashlight and shine it through at all angles from both ends of a lens, and I can see whatever is in there.  I'm sure I checked the 35mm when I bought it new.  I didn't expect fungus but who knows something could have come loose in there, but apparently it passed my inspection at the time, but using the 35mm so much on my E-420s in semi-serious weather I got around to checking it the other day and found a lot of dust inside.

I do live in a dusty region and now wonder if the cheaper price of the 35mm means that its build quality permits more dust to get in than a more expensive, better-built lens might.

Not that I intend to give up on this lens, but I am now thinking of buying another.  The dust is too fine to show up in a photo -- at least I can't see any effects (even searching with Lightroom 3), but I suspect the lens won't remain usable as long as a better-built lens might.

In a sense (maybe the only sense) this is my fault.  The lens is not weather-proofed.  I wouldn't take it out on a rainy day, but do take it on windy days and that may be when I get the dust.

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-600 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow