stol2004
Contributing MemberPosts: 533Gear list
Like?
Re: Confession of a Lazy JPG Snap Shooter
In reply to moimoi, Nov 12, 2012

moimoi wrote:

splashy wrote:

So can we conclude

1 a Extra fine Jpeg made in good light conditions and PP if needed is almost impossible to superate by RAW

How can a lossy format (i.e., jpg) be better than a lossless format (i.e., raw)? That's simply impossible. That will remain to say that 128 kbps mp3 files provides better sound quality than flac files.

2 Jpeg shooters aren't lazier then Raw shooters, but do it the other way.

I used the term lazyness in the sense that some people do not take the time and effort to play with raw files. That is a subjective matter of course. People's willingness to learn new processes leads to acquire new knowledge.

3. Raw only in bad/difficult light conditions or if used as insurance (work/weddings) it pays of to use Raw.

Not only in bad/difficult light conditions. What you get by shooting raw is a lossless set of data, which is priceless.

The flipside here is, using Raw + Jpeg on A77 the image is just Fine, not Extra Fine AND I'm missing some important features of the camera.

Sure, and that's fine really. Raw because want to keep the original captures, and jpg if you want to deliver a quick photo to people.

-- hide signature --

All harsh, impolite and/or unreasonable replies will be simply ignored.
Measurebators are out of my world, photography is not about babbling behind a computer... but rather being out of your home, shoot and share photographs with other people. Shoot and Share...Thanks.

I must say that I admire your strength and the patience to explain with really detailed answers to each of these users convinced that Jpeg is better or the same thing as Raw. Is so funny though how the thread opener explain to us in a ''modest'' way how he started in this forum to post in 2003 and how he achieved sooooo many comments ( dunno though how many of those were really useful ) . Posting his BIF photos in Jpeg format ''letting us to decide '' his professionalism and letting us to get to the conclusion that he is that pro who can get ''great '' photos in jpeg better than others in RAW .And the decision we have to take it in the end . Should I listen to jpeg shooter or should I listen to a Raw shooter ( who doesn't even shoot for that long as the jpeg shooter does). I will go with the Raw despite the fact he is a Nikon shooter.

Cheers and I wish more photos and less comments . . .

stol2004's gear list:stol2004's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7S Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow