Pentax K5 or K 30

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Questions thread
mike703
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,837
Like?
Re: Pentax K5 or K 30
In reply to schipp, Nov 12, 2012

This question appeared regularly when the K30 had just been introduced and the K30 (new, mid-range model) and the K5 (outgoing premium model) were about the same price - around £600 UK.  the general consensus was that there was not much difference, on the whole: with the K5 you get

- more rugged build, top-plate LCD, quieter shutter

with the K30 you get

- better AF, focus peaking, supposedly better for video

... and there are other small differences.  The point is that when they were both about £600 it seemed to be a tie and people went one way or the other depending on what feature appealed to them most.  For that price I would go for a K5 as I don't care about video but I do like a top-plate LCD display and I like the build quality.

But the K30 has just seen its price slashed - heavily - and now with rebate in the UK it is £319 for body only, compared to an introductory price in the summer of £599.  in other words the price virtually halved in a few months and it is a remarkable bargain.  If I were buying now I would get a K30 - much as I like a secondary LCD display it's not worth an additional £250 to me when I could put that towards a nice lens.

Best wishes

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow