Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ronbeau
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
NEX6 pdaf test on SEL18200 at max aperture
Nov 12, 2012

I ran an informal test with my 18-200 (original version) at 200mm and widest aperture on my NEX 6 after doing the firmware update.  This was very late afternoon, so not super bright conditions.  The initial focus was very quick, but not instantaneous.  Three of the sequences are shown below.  It seemed to track pretty well early in the sequence, but got a bit "confused" late in the sequence.  It almost looks like the focus algorithm is predicting movement and getting too ambitious.  For example, the third sequence (boxer running with black dog behind it) shows the first four shots in focus, but in shots 5 and 6 the grass in front of the dog (lower right corner) is in focus instead of the dog.

There were a few similar sequences (not shown here) where all the shots were out of focus, as if it never quite grabbed focus and could get it during the couple seconds of shooting.

Although these aren't perfect, I am quite impressed.  With my old NEX 5 and this lens, the dog would have been running past me before the camera hunted around and found focus, missing all the shots.  The fact that over half of these shots came out sharp pleases me.

Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow