Why buy Pentax camera if not getting weather sealed lens?

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Questions thread
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,393Gear list
Like?
Because...
In reply to GabrielFF, Nov 12, 2012

I own only one weather sealed lens, the DA*300, but I would never want a body that isn't weather sealed. Why would I care for a weather sealed body then ? Because for one thing, the lenses don't contain much electronics likely to be damaged by water infiltration. If it does occur, it can be fixed relatively inexpensively; but if one is careful covering the lens and camera, water infiltration into the lens is not all that likely. On the other hand, even when covered, the camera can get a lot of moisture, and that isn't very good for all the sensitive electronics it contains. If we're talking dust, then it's a whole different story. Dust is bad, for everything. Mind you, I live on the Canadian Wet Coast, so for 2/3 of the year, rain is normal weather. Even when it is not raining, your hands do get wet, and handling the body, weather sealed body is a piece of mind for me. I also often use the body as a rain shield for the lens, pointing it downward. Wouldn't do that if it wasn't weather sealed !

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow