Thoughts from those using both m43 and Full Frame DSLRs - that certain something?

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Amin Sabet
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,709Gear list
Like?
Re: Thoughts from those using both m43 and Full Frame DSLRs - that certain something?
In reply to robonrome, Nov 12, 2012

robonrome wrote:

I trekked in Nepal last year and bought the G3 and a 14-45 + 20 + 45 as a lightweight kit. At the last moment I weakened and tossed in the 5D2 with a 70-300L and the 24 TSE (I knew I would have a porter to share the load)...

A few months later I ended up going through the many thousands of images and culling them down to those few I though were best and printing A3 sized prints from six of them to adorn the walls of my hallway. Well as I look at them now, without thinking it seems that these six best were all taken with the 5D2 (five with the 70-300 and one with the 24 TSE)...

Probably of two things (or a combination):

1) You do best with a telephoto zoom.

2) When there was a truly great opportunity for a photo, you may have been moved to get out the heavy, expensive gear you had been lugging around for that purpose.  Ie, if you treat the MFT stuff as your snapshot kit, it will produce snapshots.

I left behind my 35mm format DSLRs (Canon 5D followed by Nikon D700) for a MFT kit, and I've never looked back.  I think the number of bad/mediocre/okay/good/very good photos I've taken per year has had everything to do with the amount of time and energy I put into it and almost nothing to do with the gear.

-- hide signature --
 Amin Sabet's gear list:Amin Sabet's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow