Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
akaRon
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
Re: Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?
In reply to Don Daugherty, Nov 12, 2012

Don Daugherty wrote:

akaRon wrote:

I switched a few months ago and quite frankly had I know what I know now I probably wouldn't have gone with an Apple product (iMac), but I wanted to try a Mac.

I'll just mention my 2 biggest gripes rather than launch into a tirade:

1) Nothing is intuitive, unlike Windows where everything makes sense and just seems to me to fall in place.

2) Crashes, freezes and 'odd' undefined occurrences DO happen at about the same rate as with Windows.

I mention the above two because that is the "hype" about Macs (simplicity and stability).

1) Everything makes sense in Windows? That's probably because you already know where things are. Everything you do in Windows has an analog in Linux, OS X, OS/2, etc.. Based on the primary definition of intuitive, none of them are.

2) I don't think there's any evidence to support that statement. I'd love to see it if you have some.

Don

An example of "everything makes sense" in Windows is that you can right click anything, and there you are, the ability to do anything is listed (example: save a pic directly to My Pictures).  simple and direct.  No jumping through hoops.

Another example is when shutting down a Windows computer, you just tap the power button and walk away.  Mac, click the Apple, then click shut down, and you get the annoying message saying that it will shut down in 60 seconds unless I click the box for immediate shut down.  (Yes...or press 4 keys on the keyboard to shut down [control, option, command and eject]).

As to point 2 (crashes and freezes and oddities) they DO happen with my Mac but are quite rare.   I'm not saying they are catastrophic but what I am saying that the Mac "experience" is not flawless.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow