FZ200 - Mystery solved regarding crappy hockey rink shots - underexposure is the culprit!

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tootsall
Senior MemberPosts: 1,129Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ200 - Mystery solved regarding crappy hockey rink shots - underexposure is the culprit!
In reply to RevsCam, Nov 11, 2012

RevsCam wrote:

The hockey rink is much like photographing in snow. Most everything is white or nearly so, so everything comes out grey.

I'm not sure that is always correct. I shot this one this morning out my livingroom window. All I have done to it in pp is some levelling. What I am experiencing is that under brilliant conditions any attempt to jack up the ev compensation results in a ton of "blow-out" and that the more important element is to make sure you've got your white balance set correctly (you'll see a lot of reflected blue from the sky). Now, we haven't had a lot of cloud since the snow landed so perhaps, under lower light conditions, some ev comp will be required. The other thing is that I haven't particularly tried to focus on any specific element but rather simply a "scene" shot so maybe you'd require a bit of compensation to get a dark object (tree trunk, person walking, etc) to come "up" with good illumination in the shadows.  What I'm trying to do is figure out the correct "K" value for white balance under these conditions.

Today's scene through a glass (brightly)

-- hide signature --

"Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it." - Winston Churchill

Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D5300 Canon PowerShot D10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow