Camera recommendation for a new Dad

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Questions thread
CarstenKostrzewa
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Re: Camera recommendation for a new Dad
In reply to vtsteevo, Nov 11, 2012

vtsteevo wrote:

Hey guys, I have a son on the way and want to make sure I can capture the moments from Day 1.

Last year I purchased an S100, thinking I would learn the manual controls. Really I just use the P, AV, and TV modes most of the time. Pocketability was important to me then, but its not as important to me now. I also found myself experimenting with Depth of Field more and more, but really just wasn't able to do anything with the S100 unless I was up close to the subject.

My criteria for a new camera are:

1. Fast lens and average zoom so I don't have to chase my kid and capture the fast motions

2. Average DOF/Bokeh ability

3. Good in low light

4. Jacket Pocketable

5. <$600

I looked at the panosonic LX7 and was impressed with their iAuto mode but overall the camera isn't that much different then the S100. I really don't think ill ever get into taking pics at full manual mode, and would rather spend the time learning how to compose the shots and making some minor adjustments.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I am waiting since a couple of years for the camera you describe, but IMHO nothing has come close yet. The Canon S100 is pretty useless when it comes to controlling DoF or better the ability to create decent background blur. That is because the sensor is too small and the max aperture too slow.

If you are interested in more details around background blur and how this relates to sensor size, focal length etc. then you might want to take a look at my article here at dpreview:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6091822765/background-blur-and-its-relationship-to-sensor-size

I also included a comparison of various cameras, that are out in the market. I am hoping to see a camera one day, that is like the Sony RX100, with 1" sensor, a bit more zoom (let's say 120mm -140mm equiv.) and a bit faster lens (e.g. f/2.5) and full tele. Until then I am using my DSLR and in rare cases my Canon S95, because no one has build a camera yet, that is in between.

Ciao

Carsten

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow