Comments please on Bluejays

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
T Nels
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
Re: Comments please on Bluejays
In reply to T Nels, Nov 11, 2012

Phillip was right.  The river/waterfall was shot in Dunbar, Wisconsin with my T3i and Canon 10-22.  I bracketed several shots and used Photomatix for some HDR versions.  This particular background was a single exposure.  I could be wrong, but I lifted the shadows for more detail in the tree trunk and think that contibuted to the increased noise.  The Bluejays themselves were shot about a month ago with the Canon 300 mm f4l right in my suburban backyard.  My only training in Photoshop Elements was a biginner class that I took about 2 years ago.  Since then, playing around with it, reading daily on DPReview and a little help with some books is how I keep learning little tricks.  I suppose a pure photographer might look down a bit on these digital processes, but that's why I started the post saying I was "having a little fun".  Coming from doing 35mm photography including some weddings etc. in the 70's, I am tickled with all the control and "playing around" you can do with these tools!

Anything wrong with this approach?  Any recommendations for software that would provide better noise reduction without excessive loss of detail would be appreciated too.  Seems to me that PSE 10, which I'm currently using doesn't due such a hot job, but my only other experience is with Canon's software which doesn't seem appreciably better in this regard.

I also need to keep in mind that I'm using a T3i.  Hope to go full frame in about a year.

Thanks for all the comments!!!

T Nels's gear list:T Nels's gear list
Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow