Started Nov 11, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Efrem
Junior MemberPosts: 46Gear list
Like?
Really old lenses with D5100
Nov 11, 2012

Thanks for indulging a question that's a bit more elementary than many of those posed here:

I have three lenses (50mm f2 Nikon, 35mm f2.8 and 135mm f2.8 third-party) from a 1970-era Nikkormat. They're manual everything: they sent f-stop information to the body by engaging a pin that moved when the aperture lens on the ring was rotated, but had no other connection to what went on behind them (other than bending light rays and sending them back there). They worked fine through the 1990s and have been stored reasonably well since.

I'm now planning to get my first DSLR, having used a variety of other digital cameras until now (currently Panasonic Lumix FZ35). Right now the Nikon D5100 is the leading candidate. I've heard that Nikon still uses basically the same lens mount that it used back in the day, and am wondering if these lenses would be of any value with that camera. I know they won't auto anything, but I can live with that for some purposes (such as pictures of things I know are at infinity). Would they have any use at all on a Nikon DSLR? Is the information that the mount is basically the same even correct?

Efrem's gear list:Efrem's gear list
Nikon D5100
ANSWER:
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow