Total Solar Eclipse - November 2012

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
MirekE
Contributing MemberPosts: 821
Like?
Re: Total Solar Eclipse - November 2012
In reply to rbscairns, Nov 11, 2012

My only available camera is a Finepix HS20EXR with the following available settings:

• At f = 720mm, F = 5.6 to 8 and S = 1/4000" to 1"
  • At f = 28mm, F = 2.8 to 8 and S = 1/4000" to 1"

For this camera,I also have a variable ND filter (ND2 to ND400), a rock-solid tripod and remote shutter release.

I am hoping to be able to photograph this eclipse. It this possible with the equipment that I have?

I think there are three types of shots you can take during total solar eclipse.

1. Shots of sun partially covered by moon before and after total eclipse. For this type of shots, you will probably want the sun to cover most of the frame and most likely use your zoom at the longest setting. The sun is still very bright during this phase and you will need ND filters similar to what you would use for regular sun.

2. Shots of sun during total eclipse. You will want to frame the sun and the corona, not just the sun, but it will be still somewhere along the long end of your lens. I believe I shot this without any filters. I'd suggest to use the two minutes of total eclipse to try wide range of exposures to get as much detail in the corona as possible and zooming in and out as needed to capture the whole corona. You will probably find this to be the most interesting part of the event. The sky becomes dark durung this phase and starts will be visible, especially on the side of sky away of sun.

3. Shots of people watching the event. The experience of total solar eclipse is amazing and you may get some interesting shots.

Take some time to enjoy the event.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow