I really wish Nikon would bring a 24-70 f/4 to market with "pro grade" optics.

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
David V
Contributing MemberPosts: 998Gear list
Like?
Re: I really wish Nikon would bring a 24-70 f/4 to market with "pro grade" optics.
In reply to primeshooter, Nov 11, 2012

primeshooter wrote:

David V wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

David V wrote:

I would love to have something smaller and really sharp for my D800 with the same zoom range as my 24-70 f/2.8. The 2.8 lens is very front heavy and I would love a smaller zoom with the same range with very sharp optics. I would not mind giving up the stop of light, because I am not using it for very shallow DOF. Just for more general walk around, event and landscape shots.

While I love the 24-70, the D800 has really exploited it's corner softness at the wide end as well. I think it's time for Nikon to re-visit this range in their pro-grade lineup.

The 24-85 3.5-4.5 images I've seen from a D800 really haven't impressed me, nor has the 24-120 F/4 (especially for what they charge for this one), otherwise I would have jumped on one of these right away. I don't suspect Nikon will do this, but considering they have done it with the 16-35 and now the 70-200, I still have some hope that it may happen one day.

I think Canon has done a good job in managing their lens lineup in this regard, though I have no interest in moving away, as I am happy with my Nikon rig and not willing to trade one set of compromises for another. Just thinking out loud.

Literally it sounds like the most boring lens I could conceive but I see why you want it. Marketing wise I think it would be more of a dead weight than a best seller mate. It's too slow - so it doesn't reach those who love fast lenses, it's got a poor zoom range - so it ain't gonna reach those ​silly folks who want a superzoom. It will have pretty poor subject isolation also unless you are very close to subject. So you are left with (if it would have "pro grade optics) - looking for landscape photographers like myself to buy it and use it stopped down in good light, since it start's at F/4 probably 5.6-8 for optimal corners as it ain't gonna be optimal in the corners at f/4 is it? It wouldn't interest me in the slightest either. It's too slow for event photography other than outside in the sunshine. I wouldn't hold you breath on this one. More likely to get a 24-70 f/2 than this.

Well.....If your prediction is right, I guess Canon will take a beating on their newly announced 24-70 f/4 and lose millions.

It's typical price gouging from canon. The price of it is more than their 2.8 24-70. I don't see it being a huge seller but you never know. Canon already have a 24-105 f/4 with decent IQ if you need this zoom range. Why would canon shooters want such a bad zoom range and likely not far off IQ as the lens they likely already own. Like you said wedding shooters own the 24-105 and most aren't idiot pixel peepers (one hopes) that sit viewing stuff at 100%, so I don't think they would notice the tiny difference in IQ that this would likely give by just cutting off the end of the zoom range.

I agree that the prices look out of line for the Canon.  I was not aware of it being more expensive than the f/2.8 variant (if in fact that is true), but the market will correct itself on that, one way or the other.  All things being equal, if the optics are tack sharp and even better than that of the 24-105 f/4, then it would be worth it to people who are shooting landscapes or event shooters/photo journalists, for which this focal length is perfect.  Again, it all depends on your requirements and every lens comes with it's set of compromises, so you make your purchase decisions based on what you shoot and try to take as few compromises as possible in the products that meet your shooting needs.

With a shorter focal range than the 24-105, one would think that there are fewer design compromises, which should lend itself to a better design for the optics.  Obviously there are no guarantees here, but that is the precedent.

My main camera is the D800 with the 24-70 f/2.8, but I also do a fair amount of shooting with the 35 f/1.4 as well, which is perfectly balanced on the D800 body.  I will be picking up a D600 as a smaller lighter option and hope to find an equally smaller lighter lens with great optical quality, so for now the search is on.

David V's gear list:David V's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow