Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SunnyFlorida
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
XZ-1 First Impressions
Nov 11, 2012

Received it Friday afternoon, been playing with it and will post some sample images tomorrow, in the meantime here are my initial impressions in no particular order

- Very sharp lens

- AF is reliable at normal distances, at closer distances I have to switch to between normal AF and macro, - annoying

- Auto WB is generally OK hits it with-in 85% accuracy, for better precision the image has to be tweaked in post - acceptable

- Exposure is generally OK with some slight under exposure of 1/3 ev easy to fix

-  Low light ISO is great up to ISO 400, usable with some tweaking at ISO 800 and emergency use only at ISO 1600

- When the fast lens is taken into account, the ISO comparisons with Mirrorless systems have to be done at a 2 ISO stop difference (XZ-1 ISO 400 Oly/Sony/Nikon ISO 1600) since their kit lenses are F/3.5 ~ 5.6 vs F/1.8~2.5

- At ISO 400 the IQ of the XZ-1 is better than a Mirrorless system + kit lens is at ISO 1600

- Tweaking the raw images in Oly's software sucks, not very user friendly, can't seem to get the output put colors right -

- Micro performance is awesome

- Self timer turns off after each shot, cant set-it-n-forget-it, - very annoying (yes I can buy the shutter release cable, but carrying more junk kills the purpose of having a small compact P&S doesn't it?)

- Camera seems very prone to flare

- Auto ISO very conservative, keeps the ISO's very low risk of motion blur, this along with A-WB might be a serious issue if you use it for travel and are shooting inside a museum with mud lighting, unless you want to spend time tweaking each image

- For $200 bucks this camera is a really good deal, not a smoking deal, but a a really good one.

- I could pick up a mirror less system for $300 - $400, but I don't want to deal with the extra bulk especially if it's a slow F/3.5 ~5.6 lens

Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow