QR plate question

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,452Gear list
Like?
Re: QR plate question
In reply to happysnapper64, Nov 11, 2012

happysnapper64 wrote:

Rob. Thank's for your reply. I am fairly new here & to photography in general, & don't understand why there are so many "plates". Why do I need more than one? The plate fits onto my camera, my camera fits onto my same make tripod legs, what more do I need? it's puzzling me a bit.

Hi Lee,

You may need more than one if you have another body or long telephoto lenses that have a 'foot' which makes it easier to swap gear rather than change plates.

The ArcaSwiss plates the previous poster mentioned are more universal and fit many premium heads like RRS, Markins, Kirk and Arca, but they are more expensive.

In the attached pic I have the lens mounted to the head using an ArcaSwiss style plate made by RRS attached to the lens foot and I can rotate the lens within the collar if I wanted to change orientation to a portrait mode.

Now if I wanted to swap to a shorter lens I would then attach the body to the head using the L plate which provides a quick change of orientation when needed.

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow