with low light performance of the 5n, what is the appeal of full-frame?

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,156Gear list
Like?
Re:??????
In reply to blue_skies, Nov 11, 2012

blue_skies wrote:

Under extreme cases, FF allows you to 'push' the camera settings to get faster shutter speeds, lesser DoF, wider FOV, than APS-C can. This is a fact, not psychology. But this rarely matters most of the time.

Unless you are a pro capturing sports or political events and have only so many changes to get a proper picture.

I don't think you need to be a pro at all. I suspect there are more amateurs who can benefit from FF than pros (in raw numbers) and it's not even close. My preference is to shoot with the best looking bokeh or out of focus areas I can get on the vast majority of my shots. Gaining lesser DoF on FF is a real benefit for the subjects I'd like to shoot. I can see it very clearly in the photos of some of the bokeh related groups I am in on Flickr when checking out the cameras involved in the shots I like most. The difference is significant and that's without being a pro or shooting sports or political events.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow