Why tilting rather than swivelling screens on Oly M 4/3 ?

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,238Gear list
Like?
Re: Why tilting rather than swivelling screens on Oly M 4/3 ?
In reply to Jorginho, Nov 11, 2012

Jorginho wrote:

I love my swiveling screen MUCH more than the tilting screen on the Oly, if only to protect the screen from scratches as you can turn the screen towards the body with GH2.

That is a big advantage to swivel screens, along with being able to shoot from whatever odd angle you find you need to. As far as reliability, I have one in my 2 1/2 year old E-620, and haven't had any trouble; Olympus does know how to build these.

As for the question "why tilt?" $, that simple. Less moving parts and complications in electronics.

A plus to tilt screens, they're instant to use, just pull it down and you're in business. Swivels have to be folded out and turned, and with my E-620 switched from OVF to the LCD. Sounds silly, but it's just that much less convenient that I rarely find myself using it.

Another plus for tilt, is you can shoot discretely by not having to hold the camera up to your face or at arms length; just open and angle it and shoot with it at your waist. Nice for public places.

Both good, and either is much better than fixed.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow