My most Difficult Panorama so far. ZS19 + PSE 8. Tenmangû Shrine, Kyoto.

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Cyril Catt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,972
Like?
Re: With Panorama Maker 5 Pro
In reply to Erik Ohlson, Nov 11, 2012

Eric, I had another go with Panorama Maker 5 Pro, leaving out the last (RH) frame, and straightening the shots beforehand. But it has suffered a lot of cropping

Panorama of Tenemagu Shrine stitched from 4 stills

Regarding sweep panoramas, I tend at times to take G.K. Chesterton's view "If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly". So if I have little time, or if there are many moving components in the shot, and if it is horizontally wider than 90 degrees, a sweep panorama may be the best way to get the job done.

If it is less than 90 degrees wide (like your panorama appears to be) I would use my LX3 with its 18mm accessory lens, which covers 90 degrees in the 16:9 format setting. Actually, the RAW data is about 110 degrees, but correcting it to a rectangular format crops a lot of corner data that is in the RAW file. Getting the whole scene in one shot overcomes the possibility of phantom or partial subjects that can result from stitching several shots which include a moving crowd, etc., as well as overcoming the possibility that differential lighting in the component stills will yield a patchy stitched pan.

Arch of Septimius Severus, at Leptis Magna, Libya, 1 Nov. 2010 (Not sure if it survived the civil war in 2011)

As the LX3 accessory lens retains the F2.0 aperture of the LX3, it is also useful for interiors, though the ISO may have to be raised, which at 400 and above can introduce some noise. However, the LX3's limited zoom requires a complementary camera - in my case the ZS15 - to cover the longer reaches.

--

Cyril

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow