Upgrade from LX3 to LX7, or something else?

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Moph
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Upgrade from LX3 to LX7, or something else?
Nov 11, 2012

Hi all

My faithful LX3 fell from a roof last week and though it's still operational, it's feeling a little tired.  My first inclination was to buy the LX7 to replace it but I'm a bit worried about the (non) availability of a quality wide angle lens solution.

I use the LX3 as a work camera for building inspections.  As a naked camera in pouch it's small enough to be hauled through roof and subfloor spaces, but with the DMC-LW46 wide angle and a Metz 58 AF-1 flash attached it is more than adequate for documenting blackened burnt-out buildings and warehouses.  That's an incredible amount of flexibility in such a small package, especially with full A/S/M control, manual focus, etc.

I'd be really keen on the LX7 if it weren't for the wide angle lens issue.  Has anyone found a good quality non-genuine lens that fits and gives around 18mm equivalent?  Or are there other cameras that would fit the bill better than the LX7 at the moment?  Cost isn't really an issue (within reason) but I'd be keen for whatever I buy to interface with the Metz 58 AF-1 as that's still going strong.

I haven't kept up with camera tech since buying the LX3 in 2009 so I'm a bit lost as to what's available at the moment...

Cheers

Moph

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow