Started Nov 2, 2012 | Questions thread
wiwi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,123Gear list
Like?
Re: Suggestions for a winter visit to Japan
In reply to aroundtokyo, Nov 11, 2012

aroundtokyo wrote:

I just had one more idea ...

How about Meiji Shrine? It's a pretty good place to shoot, plus if you walk around the back there is a fairly big park surrounded by trees and it has the skyscrapers of Nishi-Shinjuku as a backdrop. It looks pretty cool.

The other thing about the shrine, is that is has a lot of Shinto weddings, so there are the big processions through it. The processions have the big umbrellas shading the couple, the bride is often in her white kimono and all the make-up, the groom in a hakama and the priests are in their outfits too.

If you want to do that, do a google search for "tai-an lucky day in Japan" or some similar search words and see if any fall on a day that suits you. "Tai-an" is the lucky day of the month and most people pick it to get married on. It'll be pretty cold in Jan/Feb so doubtful that many weddings will be on. However, shrines and wedding halls offer big discounts at that time of year to keep business rolling in, so you might get lucky if you go ...

That's a fabulous tip, thanks!  It looks like there'll be a tai-an day on the monday we're there so perhaps someone might like to get married on a monday??  Either way it looks like a brilliant so I'll definitely make an effort to go and check it out!  Thanks again!

-- hide signature --

The world is too big for one lifetime, and one lens.
Check out where I am on www.whereswiwi.com

wiwi's gear list:wiwi's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow