Best backup camera for sports/general/travel usage? D600? D5200? Something else?

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ozonation
Contributing MemberPosts: 507
Like?
Best backup camera for sports/general/travel usage? D600? D5200? Something else?
Nov 11, 2012

I'd be interested in opinions about a second body. I currently shoot a D3s for sports/action/receptions. I don't make a living doing this, but I do shoot regularly for outside organizations. My backup camera is my now quite old D300. Since getting my D3s two years ago, I rarely use my D300: it's outclassed easily by my D3s, so I'm reluctant to use the D300 unless I have no choice. I'd like to trade in or sell my d300, but I don't know what I should replace it with.

-The D800 is too much for what I need resolution wise, and not quite fast enough for sports photography. However, it feels good in hand, albeit it's not small nor light.

-The D600 is not as comfortable in hand for me (grip seems a bit shallow), but is more affordable, shoots a bit faster, and is more reasonable in terms of image size. As an FX camera, I can use all my existing, "big" lens. All my lens are the AFS lens.

-Why would I even consider the D5200? I like the articulating screen, the small, fits-in-my-hand size, and I would still get some value out of my DX lens, while still being able to use my FX lens if necessary. Since it is spec'd at 5 fps, and has a sensor that seems very good for low light, I like it as a prospect for traveling.

I also have a Panasonic GH2 and GF1 that I use primarily when traveling, but I've been waiting until they released f2.8 zoom lenses, which Panasonic did recently. I figured this line of cameras would make for a good travel alternative. Except their 35-100 (70-200 equivalent) is over $1500 Cdn - not cheap! The GH3 is also bigger so I'm not sure the GH series represents a viable upgrade path anymore. For also the price and size, I could just get a D5200, mount my 18-200 lens, and I figure it would be almost the same size.

I'm torn between having a modestly lighter FX camera (D600) that can shoot exactly what I want but at the expense of cost and also a much heavier weight. (I would probably get the 28-300 as an all around lens) VS a lighter, more versatile DX camera (D5200) that doesn't do quite as good of a job for sports, but would be cheaper overall, easier for me to hold, and more manageable to travel with.

Any thoughts?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow