Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rumi Siddiqui
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?
In reply to user_name, Nov 11, 2012

user_name wrote:

I have both the D700 and D800. If you like the D700 you will love the D800. They are both excellent cameras, but I love pushing myself and the camera to get better and better images. It is a very rewarding affair.

Either camera, getting good lenses is a very good investment because bodies come and go, but you will always get a good return on fine lenses.

After I came home, I looked at images I shot today with my D700 and a D800, using an 85mm 1.4G. That lens is what dreams are made of, and it will be in my arsenal soon. I found a noticeable difference in image quality with the 800 over the 700. I found the metering to be superior on 800, but that was to be expected when comparing old and new tech.

I appreciate your advice, and I am defintely putting the lens first, camera second. I'm thinking 85mm 1.4G, D700, and Elinchrom Quadra, because I need a good portable light source before getting a second lens. I think I might return the 70-200mm VRII 2.8, because it's heavier and larger than I expected, and seems to be more than I need. While I was at the camera shop, I tried the 85 1.4G, and it focused fast and accurately on my two year old son, who can't sit still. So it meets all my criteria for now. I may purchase it again later on down the road as my experience improves. But for now, it doesn't pass the cost benefit analysis.

Rumi Siddiqui's gear list:Rumi Siddiqui's gear list
Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow