ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Josh Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Thinking about purchasing the Sigma 150 macro, little help needed
Nov 11, 2012

Hi everyone,

i am thinking of purchasing a sigma 150 macro in the near future, but wanted some input first.  I will mainly be using the lens for macro purposes (will be the first time tdo really do macro though).  In addition, I would also like it to double (or triple actually) as a tele portrait lens and concert leforth at will mainly just be used for drummer shots that are to far away and require to much cropping with my 85.

I will be using it on a D7k body (will be going FF in future). I have tries the tamron 90 in the past and I wasn't really impressed. However, to give the lens credit, I think I just wasn't ready for macro. I would purchase the 90, but its so close to my 85 focal length and I really wanted to try and use it for a few other things as well (above). Other faster thperform the better and wide open performance is a big plus. One thin I noticed about the Tammy 90 that the focus distance, I think I will be happier with something that could be fuether away from the subject.  Also, does the sigma 150 "extend" when focusing like the Tammy?

Any other options to consider that I may have to seen?  I have thought about the tamron 180, but kind of stuck on the sigma. However, with the privr difference, I could toss in a wide angle or fisheye for fun as well.

I have thought about some other tele zooms such as the nikon 70-200 vr I, sigma 50-150 and tokina 50-135.  However, I think I would get more use out of males with macro capabilities.

any suggestions?

oh, almost forgot, my current gear is

- nikon d7000

- nikon 35/1.8

- rokinon 85/1.4

- sigma 17-50 OS

- nikkor 24/2.8 ais

- nikon SB-600

- cheap tripod (lower line of sunpak brand).  I rarely use this, but understand its another necessity in macro and upgrading will be required (especially with a heavier setup).

Josh Jones's gear list:Josh Jones's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +2 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow