The Sunday BIRD Volume 8, Issue 21. November 11, 2012

Started Nov 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Richard Pavek
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,707
Like?
EC14 vs EC20
In reply to Richard Pavek, Nov 11, 2012

Last week the question came up about the comparative sharpness of these two extenders. In my comment, I stated that my EC20 was made in Japan. When I checked I found that it was made in China. Evidently there was no EC20 production in Japan at all.

With that in mind I will restate my original findings.  First, the color of the glass is different. The EC14 has the same color (when viewed looking through the barrel) as all other Oly 4/3 lenses. The EC20 has a distinctly yellowish cast. Not only can you see the difference looking through the lenses, you can see it in prints.

When the EC20 became available I was truly excited and ran a series of field tests just as soon as I got it. Tony Spore, whom some of you will remember, ran similar tests. Mine were made with the ZD300, which is a truly sharp lens, as most of you know.

I was very disappointed with what I found. Images taken with the EC14 when cropped to produce an image the same size as the EC20 produced were at least equal in quality.  (By quality I mean sharpness, color tint and contrast.)  Also, the narrower field of view makes it harder to track birds with the EC20.

It is worth noting that Oly rates the EC 14 as Super High Grade and the EC20 as High Grade.

Richard

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow