Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,768
Like?
Re: Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?
In reply to akaRon, Nov 10, 2012

akaRon wrote:

1) Nothing is intuitive, unlike Windows where everything makes sense and just seems to me to fall in place.

Well, you have to understand that "intuitive" is a largely meaningless term because "intuitive" depends on your prior experience. If you were set loose in the forest to survive, everything would seem completely counter-intuitive...but that would be the opposite opinion from the tribe that has lived in that forest for centuries. Same if a tribesman was dropped into Manhattan...

2) Crashes, freezes and 'odd' undefined occurrences DO happen at about the same rate as with Windows.

The only way this seems plausible is if Windows is quite stable now, which I think it is. If crashes and odd things are common on either Windows or Mac, the problem is with the user's configuration, not with the operating system.

Sometimes I am with a friend and their Mac, and I'll sometimes out of curiosity start their Terminal app and type "uptime" into it. Almost always, that friend's Mac has been up for weeks (that is, weeks without a restart or shutdown) with no major complaints. And these are my non-technical friends, the ones who know nothing about Mac maintenance and have to ask people like me for advice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow