FZ200 Concert Photos in low light

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tootsall
Senior MemberPosts: 1,114Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ200 Concert Photos in low light
In reply to Fz10Kiwi, Nov 10, 2012

In very difficult conditions I'll sometimes resort to selecting the "K Colour Temperature" setting and adjusting the balance there.  As an example I've long struggled with getting the "blue" exaggeration out of sunny, snowy scenes (probably not a problem for yourself!).  I recently found that if you select about 6,400K which is a bit "colder" than either the "Cloudy" or "Sunny" presets (more like the "Shade" at least on the FZ150), you'll cut some of the apparent boosting of the blue but without warming the scene unrealistically.  (I'm checking these with the colour histogram in PhotoMe).

On a recent trip to the Netherlands I had the chance to take some photos in the engine room of the StenaLines Ferry "Hollandica" and, with the mercury vapour (?) lighting against bright yellow engines with shiny, aluminum heat shield coverings it was "interesting" to fight the light (and we won't talk about me forgetting to take the white balance back to something more "normal" for a few shots afterwards!    )  It took a lot of messing around with the colour balances in Photoshop to get something almost realistic afterwards (I was shooting in JPEG rather than RAW).

-- hide signature --

"Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it." - Winston Churchill

Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D5300 Canon PowerShot D10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow