Split Screen, ...Why aren't alternative VF screens available in modern DSLRs?

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,094Gear list
Like?
Re: Split Screen, ...Why aren't alternative VF screens available in modern DSLRs?
In reply to Theodoros Fotometria, Nov 10, 2012

Theodoros Fotometria wrote:

Split screen absence in modern DSLRs is a mystery to many people..., it surely should be available as an alternative in modern DSLRs... IMO AF makes photographers more lazy ...and "more lazy" surely affects the result to an extend... I also believe that all auto functions of a camera should be designed as alternatives to the traditional "all controls to photographer" - now "ancient" way... but that's just me.

Yet, there is a provision for screens to be removed with the traditional "through the mount way" and nothing would have to be altered for users that don't miss it in modern Nikon DSLRs... so, no harm to them either, just a very useful alternative for traditional users.

Theodoros

www.fotometria.gr
www.fotometriawedding.gr

If memory serves, some initial digital cameras can change focusing screen.  And there were third party screens available too. Recently they seem dead, Gone with the Wind.

I really miss split-microprism-matte screen.  All these affect this and affect that doesn't bother me, as long as it only impact IQ minimally, if at all. As photographers, we should be able to learn, to acquaint, to adjust with, and build a rapport with our camera, aka KYC (Know Your Camera!).

Well, it seems a lot of reasons for not so.  One of course is additional cost, not sure how much.

Steven

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow