Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KG2002
Regular MemberPosts: 332
Like?
Why is 70-300 VR so cheap?
Nov 10, 2012

I am looking for a travel zoom lens for D800. I use 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 70% of the time when travel, 17-35 2.8 15% (for landscapes) but need a decent zoom to cover the long range. I was looking at 70-200 VR II 2.8 and the new f/4, but they are still too big for my bag and honestly, for my purposes 300 would be much better. I would even prefer a super zoom but the quality is totally off from what I read. Distortion, bad sharpness and etc.

I know 70-300 VR is not a pro lens, but I do not need it for stock or anything. Just good quality photos for myself. I read reviews and it looks to me as an average lens which is fine by me. Much better than 24-120 actually. Also comparable to 80-400 from what I read. However it is soooo cheap comparing to the rest of them so it makes me wonder what I am missing? How can it sell for $450 while 80-400 is 3 times more. Yes, build quality and so on, but the test results are very close. How can it be?

I have very little experience with zooms - I only had 18-200 for my wife DX camera. It was super convenient when we travel. The pictures were ok but the difference was quite visible even if I scroll through the album quickly.

Any word of advice?

P.S. I am not going Tamron or Sigma way with zooms. I had one very good sigma prime, but heard bad stories about Sigma zoom quality.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow