Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
taamberg
Regular MemberPosts: 154
Like?
The biggest Sony negative: service and support
Nov 10, 2012

I'm heavily invested in Sony, starting off with Minolta lenses and cameras, and then having made major investments in Sony glass and first an A900.

I just bought an A99, partly to be able to get clean HDMI in 1080 24p.  This is the third major feature listed for the A99 on Sony's website, and the ability to get 24p from HDMI is clearly listed on the specifications page.

However, for whatever reason, I'm not able to get my Blackmagic HDMI capture device (an Intensity Extreme Thunderbolt peripheral for my Mac) to grab anything other that 1080 59.98i.  I've tried all the settings, tried it when making a recording or not, etc. etc.

Sure, It's a little bit of a technical issue, but it's not like there are a whole lot of inexpensive HDMI capture devices, and the Intensity line is pretty popular.

So it was time to contact Sony Support.

- The first thing I tried was the "interactive chat" session on sonystyle.com:

- the agent started by misconstruing my question to be about AVCHD recordings;

- they then still misunderstood it to be about recordings onto the memory card;

- they then told me that Sony hasn't tested the A99 with _any_ external devices; (I had to point them to the A99 features webpage claiming HDMI external device support)

- they then told me that 24p is not supported on the HDMI port; (I then had to point them to the A99 specifications webpage)

- they then told me I had to escalate my case up to the next level, but that _they_ couldn't do that, I had to call a toll-free phone number (available 7 days a week);

- the phone number they gave me was the wrong number;

- I looked up the right toll-free support number myself, and called it;

- That number just went to a recording telling me to call a NON-free, long-distance number (Florida);

- I called up the Florida number, and got put on hold;

- the phone system doesn't tell you ANYTHING about how long your hold might be, or the "number" you are in line to be heard;

- after 21 minutes on hold on a paying long-distance phone call, I gave up and hung up.

What.  A.  Joke.

I thought that Sony was serious about giving their professional products professional support?  This isn't even non-professional, consumer-level support.  This is incompetence.

Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow