Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
danijel973
Contributing MemberPosts: 639Gear list
Like?
Re: Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?
In reply to akaRon, Nov 10, 2012

I didn't get the impression that OS X is more stable than Win7; they are about the same from my position, and I use both simultaneously. The times when Windows were prone to crashes are the stuff of legend from the times of win9x kernel. Since Win2000, they are rock solid.

My perspective on Mac is somewhat different because I didn't switch from Windows to Mac, I switched from Windows to Linux years ago, and then from Linux to Mac, at least for the laptop. Mac impresses me as Linux with everything finally done right. The GUI doesn't crash, CUPS and samba don't lose config every six months on a distro upgrade, I don't have to reinstall the printer every now and then, and all the Adobe software works. I have complaints, of course - Nautilus is ten lightyears ahead of Finder, for instance. Copying and moving files around is clumsy, unintuitive and slow. I had to install half of Linux via macports in order to get the command line apps that I needed. But for someone who doesn't want to gut the system the way I did, it would mostly be smooth as silk.

danijel973's gear list:danijel973's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow