Voigtländer 25mm. The original and the best?

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,315Gear list
Like?
Re: Voigtländer 25mm. The original and the best?
In reply to jeffharris, Nov 10, 2012

jeffharris wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

I bought this off the back of the performance of the 17.5mm lens. It isn't as good, but judged on its own merits it is a very good but flawed lens. Flawed because its just too glowy and soft for my taste wide open. Nonetheless it doesn't have to be stopped down far at all (F1.2 to 1.4) to get very good quality results with great detail resolution. Stopped down further it is scarily sharp.

I have a Voigtländer 25mm and love it! It's easily my most used lens and pretty much live full-time on my GH2. I actually like the glowy effect at f0.95, but yes, stopped down a bit it's amazing. Using it as a close-up lens actually makes it extremely useful as an all-arounder. Minimum focus is around 7"! I've been itching to get a 17.5mm, too!

I also have a couple of Voigtländer rangefinder lenses… 35mm f1.4 and 75mm f2.5 Color Heliar. and especially like the 75mm! You can pick up a used 75mm for a round $300 from KEH and it's well worth it.

You've just given me a thought - I have a 35mm Nokton F1.2 for M mount. Might be worth seeing what it's like as a short portrait lens on the E-M5. I had the Voigtlander 75mm F1.8 (which is also pretty reasonable) and sold it due to lack of use, but looking at the results I had with it I think I was nuts...

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow