Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,694
Like?
Re: Switching from PC to Mac.. anything you wish you knew?
In reply to bm bradley, Nov 10, 2012

bm bradley wrote:

this is what I know about going to mac from a friend of mine that did...

first thing is you can't run to instances of the same app. sometimes I'll have a batch running and want to open the app again to check something else...

Yes.  The normal style is for the Mac to launch only a single instance of a GUI application.  You left out the other part of it, which is that many Mac GUI applications are capable of having multiple documents open at the same time.

Unix applications can have multiple instances, of course, although relatively few people run those.

second, windows will not open full screen, which is funny because my buddy looked right at me and said "I guess I didn't need to open the windows full screen" (see, Steve Jobs does know what's good for you)

Your buddy is upset because in a lot of Mac applications, the Maximize button sizes the window to the amount of screen space that the content can use, rather than blindly hogging all of it?

There are applications that will use the full screen (e.g., DVD Player, video playback).  Then there are the "full screen" features in Lion and Mountain Lion (I use Snow Leopard).

third, then my buddy told me he was getting the new version of PS. I asked why. is there tools in there that will be more productive? answer: no, I just want to see if the new version is more stable.

As if there were never any bugs in the Windows version of Photoshop.

so basically you'll be spending a 40% premium for outdated gear that looks really cool

Yawn.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow