Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?
Re: $710 for 17mm f/1.8? Crazy overpriced
In reply to goshigoo, Nov 10, 2012

goshigoo wrote:

ulmer wrote:

Adamant wrote:

Jeez.

I feel like I should buy a 45/1.8 for $399 before Olympus realizes their pricing mistake on that one.

I hear you! The 45mm is plastic rather than metal and I think has less exotic glass, so I think it justifies it's lower price.

The 17mm is supposed to be a higher-end, metal-bodied lens so it's $$$. Hopefully it performs better than the first batch of pics posted here.

Can I have the plastic and less exotic glass version of the 12/2, 17/1.8 and 75/1.8?
I am VERY happy with the IQ of 45/1.8

I approve of this message...

The build quality is nice and all but if given a choice between a metal pump focus 45/1.8 vs what we already have, I'll choose the cheap fantastic plastic every single time.  The least they could do is weather seal the lens to give it a measurable distinction.

The way I look at it, if something were to happen to my front element (the most vulnerable part of the lens IMO) of my 45/1.8. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Also, this sorry excuse of ridiculous prices being justified by 'build quality' is lame.  This is the digital age and I'm willing to bet each lens with electronic contacts is going to be absolutely useless in 20 years.  It's very unfortunate and all that we can't expect to simply care for our gear and hand it down to our grand kids, but it's just the way life is today.  My grand kids will not be inheriting any of my iPhones, iPads, or Macbooks, neither will they be inheriting any of my digital cameras. Thank you technology...

Plus, I imagine cameras 20-50 years from now on the consumer level being even more of an electronics device than it is today, or even implemented into our cell phones with such sophistication that no human eye can detect the difference  between true optical zooms, vs digitally cropped gigapixel sensors.  Cameras are already implementing artificial blurring in the backgrounds to make up for tiny sensor sizes and quite frankly, if you can't see the difference in the final image, what's the point of using a traditional interchangeable lens camera anymore.  Mix that in with smart technologies that can take multiple pictures instantly at multiple exposures to combine for the dynamic range of the best cameras we have today and that puts every camera available today in the history books as the last of the dinosaur size cameras.

So the bottom line, give me more fantastic plastic and let me enjoy my hobby at more affordable prices.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ROFLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow