Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,634Gear list
Like?
GH3 review in Amateur Photographer
Nov 10, 2012

The latest edition of the reputable UK photographic magazine, Amateur Photographer, has a full review of the GH3.

In general Amateur Photographer's reviews are good on things like handling, metering, DR and noise but a bit scanty in some other areas.  They can be a bit vague in their conclusions and include detailed comparisons against other cameras like the OM-D.

To pick out some areas:

• DR: "...is able to capture a wider range of tones than I would expect in a 4/3 camera" and ''I haven't seen so much detail in the highlights from a Panasonic camera before."
  • Resolution/noise: "This level of performance [resolution at low ISO] is equal to good DSLRs like the Nikon D7000".  "...this sensor certainly provides the best low light performance from a 4/3 camera to date" but not up to an APS-C sensor.
  • Focusing: Bit vague on focusing speed.  Only mention of AF-C is "...tracking AF works well for slow moving subjects but increase the speed and and erratic movement of a subject and the system often struggles to keep up.  High speed sports photographers are unlikely to be enticed by the GH3..."
  • In the Verdict section there is a comment that IQ isn't as good as the NEX7.

My very tentative conclusions: big improvement in DR (but no comparison against OM-D), very good resolution at low ISO, very good high ISO noise (presumably better than OM-D), no dramatic improvement in focusing speed or AF-C.

Roll on the DPR review and owner reports on this forum.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow