Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
luckymandran
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Is the HX20 worth the upgrade from HX9?
Nov 10, 2012

As an owner of a HX9 I am happy with its still and video capabilities. It is my take anywhere when I don't want to lug around my DSLR camera and back up video camera. But......I've recently been looking at the HX20 and wonder if I can justify the upgrade? What do I gain from spending another $320?

I see Sony has included some new toys with the different effects such as watercolor and more.

A bit of a bump in the zoom from 16x to 20x.

An extra 2 megapixels

More speed?? This may interest me more than others as some reviews rave about it being a "faster" camera. From start up to focus and processing.

Are there any HX20 owners out there that also came from using a HX9 like myself that can help to compare? With the current savings being offered in the US I'm looking to make the jump. Just want to know how far of a jump it is so to speak.

I guess my specific concern would be with the review here on this site. While it gives a good review it grades the new HX20 at 74% and the HX9 at 75%. And a direct comparison using that option at the end of the review is mixed.

It grades the HX20 higher for Features , Optics , and Performance(speed).

The HX9 graded higher in Exposure + focus accuracy , Image quality(jpeg) , and Movie/ video mode.

I wish not to downgrade in any of the areas they rated the HX9 higher in. What good comes from better optics and performance if I am losing image quality and exposure + focus accuracy. Or is the difference not all that noteworthy? Thanks for your help!

luckymandran's gear list:luckymandran's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon Coolpix AW110 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow