Criteria to keep Sony 75-300 over Minolta 70-210 F4 Beercan

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Questions thread
mick232
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?
Re: Criteria to keep Sony 75-300 over Minolta 70-210 F4 Beercan
In reply to MartBob, Nov 10, 2012

MartBob wrote:

I had the chance to find the Sony 75-300 and the Minolta 70-210 F4 at very good price and now Im asking myself witch one should I resale.

I like the Sony because it's a bit smaller because of it's external zoom and the 300mm range is a good plus value.

In the other hand I like the F4 of the minolta all the way to 210mm but since this lens is more for outdoor picture I don't know if I really need it. It's also very big and don't quite fit in my bag

Picture quality are ok in both case nothing extraordinary, even with the beercan. I think that the legend is a little overrated. Im I right ?

What would you recommend ?

Thanks

Why not keep both? The resale value is pretty low anyway. I have both lenses, and usually I grab the beercan. It is not that much larger than the 75-300. And I certainly wouldn't call the beercan an outdoor lens, in particular not when compared to the 75-300. If you need to shoot indoors, the beercan will be much better.

If you don't appreciate the quality of the beercan when comparing it with the 75-300, you just may have a bad sample. For me, it is quite obvious with lens is better.

mick232's gear list:mick232's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow