DPR K5II vs K5IIs Studio Shots are Up

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,559Gear list
Like?
645D, D800, and....
In reply to ozdean, Nov 10, 2012

The surprises first:

check out the Samsung NX-20 on IR at base ISO. Look at the proportional scale: it's MUCH better than the K5IIs. Unfortunately, it breaks up at high ISO.

Olympus OM-D E-M5. The sensor shows its smaller size at high iso, but that scale remains excellent.

The Sigma Merrils at base iso...

The nicest sensor on the market imho belongs to:

The Canon 1DX at high iso has no peer, imho. At least the jpgs on IR. At base iso it's much like the K5IIs, maybe even a bit better.

The resolution advantage of the D800 over the K5IIs, surprisingly, seems to decrease with higher ISO, despite the larger sensor.

Finally, i suspect/fear that DPR has been fiddling with the chrominance noise again. I say again because they had posted high iso pics with the K-01 with chrominance noise removal maxed, and it trumped everything in sight...

That said, i'm looking forward to upgrading from Capture One 6 to Capture One 7, apparently, the raw demosaicing and NR tools are greatly improved. This is what the reviews say:

"The results are like upgrading one or two entire camera generations, adding 50% new pixels to your camera and 3 stops of ISO capability - amazing." Jack Flesher, getDPI.com

10 years from now, the IQ related to a sensor size will be negligable all the way to ISO 1,000,000! (I'm not talking about DOF advantage, OVF size, etc...)

-- hide signature --

--
-----------------------------------------------
Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
@ JBNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow