Started Nov 10, 2012 | Questions thread
happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,473Gear list
Like?
Re: Should I get this camera and lens?
In reply to happysnapper64, Nov 10, 2012

happysnapper64 wrote:

Kookehs wrote:

I'm rather new to DSLR cameras, and I was wondering if this would be a good start. I'm a college student and I want to take photos of my campus, which is pretty much surrounded by nature, and the wildlife. And portraits of people.

I'm planning to get a Canon T3i, just the body, and a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens. Does purchasing just the body come with the battery and charger? Will I need to purchase more memory or is what's included more than enough?

I'm on a tight budget and looking at some of the other types of lenses they are quite expensive. Are there any medium range lenses or suggested lenses less than $200 that you would recommend? And what about accessories?

T3i is a very good camera, the articulating screen does come in handy for shooting low down or above your head, & you can still see the screen. As for lenses, Canon have 2 very good & very cheap lenses that you can sometimes get as part of a kit with the body, & this can work out cheaper than buying body only then buying lenses separate. These 2 are the 18-55 IS & 55-250 IS. The IS stands for Image Stabilization, & helps you to use slower shutter speeds than you normally would, & avoiding camera shake which makes your pics look blurred. Just make certain that it has IS on the lens body if you do look at these lenses. You will need SD cards & lens hoods if the lenses you buy don't come with one, & maybe a cleaning kit to keep lenses & lcd screen clean & a bulb blower to gently remove any dirt/dust that gets inside the camera body while you are changing lenses. These things along with a decent bag are just the basics & cost very little, & I would stick with these items for now & only buy "extras" when you really need them. I have not had time to read the other posts, so appollogies if I am just repeating what others have said.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

As you are pretty new to this, I would not suggest you get any prime lenses yet, as you probably haven't worked out what focal lengths are best for your needs. Using the 18-55 IS will show you which focal lengths you do use, then you can decide on your choice of primes, or not as the case may be.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow