Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
billorg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094
Like?
NEX-6 - What was Sony thinking??
Nov 10, 2012

I've been able to test out my NEX-6 and have found a couple of things that really may be deal-breakers for me.

First and foremost, it may seem minor, but never ever have I seen such a ridiculous situation with the placement of the SD card!!  Do I need to carry a needle-nose pliers around to remove it?  Or maybe even that wouldn't work, maybe I need a special tool Sony will no doubt come out with??  I mean really!  It's bad enough on my A77 - but to do even worse with this, I cannot understand.  At lest on the A99 they let the door swing open so you can get the card.  This, is impossible.

Secondly, the flash is useless.  To use it at all, you have to turn down the comp. to -2 (all the way down)  And I don't know what lens(es) they designed this to work with, but NONE of mine are short enough to stay out of the way causing a huge shadow on the images.  It does NOT stand up high enough to get out of the way of any normal lens except maybe the pancake..

Third, I kind of expected after I saw the images on IR, but mine had already shipped so I couldn't cancel it.  The high ISO .jpg images have an uglier noise pattern (and more of it) than on my NEX-5N.  New sensors should be improved in this respect, not degrade images even more.

Fourth, no batter charger - I do not see it as "giving you yet another option", I see it as bad economy=cheapening everything any way they can.  No excuse for not having a charger.  I have a Zuikos from buying extra batteries, but they should still include one.

I sold my 5N because I wanted the wi-fi feature (which is fair, see another post where I finally got it working) and thought the built-in EVF would be a good backup for me outdoors in bright light such as at the beach where you can't see the LCD.  I use the LCD to shoot most everything as I don't like the EVF - but as a backup, thought it would be worthwhile.  I saw the flash as an added bonus even though I never once used the one that came with my 5N - however, I only needed it as fill and even at the max of -2 it's too bright for that.

Last minor thing is because it is a heavier camera, it doesn't balance well with the EA2 adapter, usually falling back and rarely able to stand up with it attached.

So with degraded image quality, an unusable flash, almost no way to remove the SD card, a poorly made/sticky in places selector ring under the main dial, I am not sure there is any reason to keep it.  I don't know if the 5R has the old-style SD card slot, but it has the same crummy new sensor so image quality is the same.  Very discouraging.  Bill

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow