D800 Serial # 3053xxx, Should I send it back?

Started Nov 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
David Henneman
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
Embedded images here. Original post should look like this
In reply to David Henneman, Nov 10, 2012

I now have my new d800 in hand. I got the new 24-85 3.5-4.5VR and a used 70-200 f/2.8 VR 1 off of ebay. Both lenses seem quite good, of course the 70-200 is the prize, when the af works correctly. Like many of you I started right off doing af tests. Jeez louise, they weren't kidding about having to use impeccable technique to get a sharp image! MLU and/or remote release is a huge must for longer focal lengths and slower shutter speeds. I'm not complaining though, I can always use it as a dx camera if I don't want all that resolution.

The reason I post is that this camera appears to have the dreaded left af issue. I'm not sure how bad it is though and would appreciate your assessment if the pix below are viewable on this site. I used a frayed rope in the back yard and an ISO 12223 focus chart.

I'm inclined to send it back for another and another until they get it right. The properly focusing D800 is the camera I want. A fellow in my camera club bought one 2 weeks ago from BH and says he did the tests and his left af is fine. Am I being too picky here? or is this as good as it gets?

First the rope, 100% crops of basically this scene taken at dusk:

100% crop

100% crop

Do you think this Left AF shot would be considered "within spec"? by Nikon?

ISO focus Chart:

Here's some 100% crops from the ISO Chart:

100% crop

100% crop, or 100% cr@p?

Here, I took the far left af point shot, and downsampled it to 15 megapixels and compared it to a shot taken with my canon 50d with 70-200 f/4L:

Same image as above, just downsampled

Native canon 50d 15mpx size, 100% crop

Thanks for Looking and providing your sage advice.

Best regards, David

-- hide signature --

The tolerance and understanding necessary to heal must come from each and every one of us, arising out of our everyday conduct until decency reaches a flood tide. — Muhammad Ali

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow