Senior MemberPosts: 1,627
Like?
Re: Another happy 35-100 owner
In reply to CharlesB58, Nov 10, 2012

CharlesB58 wrote:

Allan Brown wrote:

CharlesB58 wrote:

Allan Brown wrote:

I'm sure this is a good lens but is it worth the price. Other than it being f2.8 I don't think it is any better than my 45-200.

Here are a couple taken with my 45-200 at 200mm, 1600ISO, wide open (f5.6) OOC jpeg just resized down.

I am not trying to start a fight, just saying that unless you really need f2.8, there are other options.

Allan

I do a lot of concert, theater and powwow photography. For me, the difference between 2.8 and 5.6 is the difference between a shot I delete (because of too much subject blur) and a shot my clients like. So the lens is definitely worth the price for me, and one of the lenses contributing why my equipment upgrade path is pretty much remaining with 4/3 and m4/3 (especially with the future release of the Panasonic 150 f2.8).

Those are situations where I would use faster lenses - primes. Why be limited to f2.8? What's wrong with f1.4 or f0.9? Even f1.8 is better for low light. The 150 f2.8 sounds interesting and is why I use my old Nikon 105 f2.5 even though it doesn't AF.

Why use an f2.8 zoom instead of a prime? In part because using apertures that wide isn't necessarily a good thing when photographing concerts, dance and theater. It depends on the focal length and subject distance. I plan on using primes as well. But my initial upgrade path is better served by the 35-100 as I transition from 4/3 to m4/3. There are times where I have to stay in one position when capturing a performance, so a zoom offers more facility than primes, even if it means a loss of an f stop.

Changes lenses during a concert isn't problematic: do it between numbers. Changing lenses during a play or dance performance can mean missing a key bit of action. I can always shoot wider angle of view and crop: I do that now. But why waste sensor real estate when a zoom lens offers more flexibility? The primes are part of my "road map": just not first purchases

As I originally said, unless you really need f2.8, there are other options. You are making money from this lens and, for you, it is a good option. Zooms do have many advantages, that's why I have a few of them. However, over the years, I have decided that, for me, having two (or more) camera bodies, is a viable option - especially with little cameras such as the EPM1/2.

Allan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow