Summing It Up...

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gallopingphotog
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?
Re: Summing It Up...
In reply to Deleted pending purge, Nov 10, 2012

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to try to improve the Challenges.

One thing that might be useful would be a sort of "voting guide" that would clarify what the votes mean. Should the voter judge each photo alone, just on its merits and how well it answers the challenge requirements? Or should the photos be compared against each other, so there's a "best" photo compared with its fellow entrants, and a second-best, etc.? If there are two not-very-good photos but photo A is marginally less not good (a tiny bit better) than B, does A get half a star and B no star? Should every photo get something?

If there is such a recognized standard, where would I find it, and maybe it should be easier to find.It isn't very useful to tell someone that if they don't understand the voting system then they shouldn't vote, if the person can't find a clear explanation.

I don't have any particular bright ideas for dealing with cheaters other than calling them out when discovered.

Would it be possible for the ISP address for each vote to be kept (not necessarily made public) and then when sandbagging is suspected, the votes could be tracked back? Although I guess that would only show if more than one vote was cast by the same ISP address and if I persuade 100 of my closest friends to give my photo 5 stars, that wouldn't show up.

Anyway, thank you again for the effort you've put into this!

-- hide signature --

Gallopingphotog

Gallopingphotog's gear list:Gallopingphotog's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS Gimp +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow