This is goodbye

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,660Gear list
Like?
Re: This is goodbye
In reply to sgoldswo, Nov 10, 2012

sgoldswo wrote:

None of those if you want low light ability. Either you need to go for a full frame body (personally I suspect a 5D II or Nikon D700 are the best DSLRs that won't break the bank for that) or you need to look at the Fuji X cameras which have similar ISO performance to the D700 (but have other issues you can find out about on the Fuji Forum).

I agree. Full frame is the way to go to get lower noise (at the cost of a shallower DoF) than the NEX cameras. The 5D III is about 1 1/2 stops better.

I am not convinced the Fuji X cameras are any better than the NEX cameras at high ISO, but I am pretty convinced that both are as good as it gets at APS-C right now. I saw a lot of examples based on DPR images that seemed to show incredible high-ISO performance relative to the NEX-7. I decided to check it out, and imported DPRs NEX-7 RAWs into Aperture myself (I had to use with JPGs for the X-Pro as RAW is not yet supported).

This is what I found (both shots at 1/1000s f/8):

I didn't process the RAW at all, just imported it, so no sharpening. Neither of these are what I'd call disastrously noisy given the degree of pixel peeping needed to get down to this level of detail. I also don't see much of a difference between the two.

The image I got seems a lot better than DPRs. My guess is that RAW processors evolve, and the latest version of Apple's RAW converter is better than the Adobe converter used by DPR when they tested (the latest version of that may also have improved).

Comparing OOC JPGs would be another matter. There's no doubt the Fuji JPG engine is one of the best.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ByeNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow